Shedd Aquarium, formally known as the John G. Shedd Aquarium, is one of the largest and most popular indoor public aquariums in the United States. Located on Lake Michigan in Chicago’s Museum Campus, it opened its doors for the first time on May 30, 1930. With over 5 million US gallons (19 million liters) of water and 32,000 animals from 1,500 different species including fish, marine mammals, birds, amphibians and insects, it quickly became one of the nation’s premier attractions.
In 2015 alone it brought in more than 2 million visitors and surpassed Field Museum as Chicago’s most visited cultural facility. It has received numerous awards for its exhibits including “Seahorse Symphony” (1999), “Amazon Rising” (2001) and “Wild Reef” (2004). In 1987 it was designated a National Historic Landmark by the federal government. If you would like to learn about the Lincoln Park Zoo find out here!
The History of Shedd Aquarium
Shedd Aquarium was a gift from John G. Shedd, a protégé of Marshall Field, to the city of Chicago. Groundbreaking took place on November 2, 1927 and construction was completed on December 19, 1929 with the first exhibits opening on May 30, 1930. It had 132 exhibit tanks and cost $3 million to build at the time.
During the 1933 World’s Fair in Chicago, it gained exposure to a large international crowd. In 1971 one of its most popular exhibits was added: a 90,000-US-gallon (340,000 L) Caribbean coral reef exhibit. That same year it acquired its first research vessel, the 75-foot (23m) Coral Reef II which has been replaced with another in 1985. In 1987 Shedd Aquarium was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
John Shedd Reed served as president of the board from 1984 until 1994 and his grandaughter Bridget C. Coughlin currently serves as President and CEO since Spring 2016.If looking for painting & remodeling contact CHJ Painting & Remodeling.
Shedd Aquuarium Information
Located in: Museum Campus
Address: 1200 S Dusable Lk Shr Dr, Chicago, IL 60605
Departments: Teen Learning Lab
Phone: (312) 939-2438
Notable animals: Kayavak (Beluga whale), Qannik, Nunavik, Granddad, Miki, Naya, Bella, Immiayuk, Puiji, Mauyak
Opened: May 30, 1930
Area: 10 acres
Architect: Dirk Lohan
Number of animals: 32,000
Architectural styles: Neoclassical architecture, Beaux-Arts architecture