Wrigley Field, located at Chicago’s North Side, is a Major League Baseball (MLB) stadium. It is home to the city’s beloved Cubs, who first took to the field in 1916 and defeated the Cincinnati Reds 7-6. The park was originally named Weeghman Park after its founder Charles Weeghman but was later renamed Wrigley Field in 1927 by gum magnate William Wrigley Jr., owner of the Cubs. If looking for painting & remodeling contact CHJ Painting & Remodeling.
This stadium has a capacity of 41,649 people and is known for having an ivy-covered brick outfield wall, receiving wind from Lake Michigan, a red marquee over the main entrance, a hand-turned scoreboard, being surrounded by residential neighborhoods with no parking lots and views from nearby rooftops behind the outfield. Wrigley Field is especially noteworthy as being the last major league park to have lights installed for night games in 1988. In between 1921 and 1970, it also served as home to the NFL’s Chicago Bears and hosted games of the NFL’s Chicago Cardinals (who are now known as Arizona Cardinals). Its playing field stands at an elevation of 600 feet above sea level. Due to its historical value, Wrigley Field was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2020.
The History of The Wrigley Field
Charles Weeghman, a baseball executive, hired his architect Zachary Taylor Davis to construct a brand new ballpark. Opening on April 23rd, 1914, the park was soon home to the Chicago Whales (also known as the Chi-Feds). The Whales went on to win the Federal League championship in 1915.
Following the collapse of the Federal League late in 1915, Weeghman formed a syndicate with William Wrigley Jr., chewing gum manufacturer, and purchased the Chicago Cubs from Charles P. Taft for approximately $500K. Weeghman then moved the Cubs from West Side Grounds to his two-year-old park.
William Wrigley Jr. eventually acquired controlling interest in the club in 1918 and renamed it ‘Wrigley Field’ in 1926. In 1927 an upper deck was added and 1937 saw Bill Veeck – son of the president – planting ivy vines against outfield walls after being inspired by Perry Stadium in Indianapolis. Learn about The Art Institute of Chicago.
Address: 1060 W Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613
Phone: (773) 404-2827
Opened: April 23, 1914
Owner: Thomas S. Ricketts
Team: Chicago Cubs
Architect: Zachary Taylor Davis
Architectural style: Neoclassical architecture